Get to know the Tri-Lakes Humane Society
TLHS Mission Statement Is Simple
The Tri-Lakes Humane Society, Inc. advocates humane treatment of animals, reunites lost pets with their owners, provides protection, care and shelter for abandoned, stray and homeless companion animals, and educates the public.
We are a non-profit 501(c)3, "no kill" animal shelter facility located in Saranac Lake, NY, and proudly serve our local communities of Tupper Lake, Lake Placid, and Saranac Lake.
New York State Registered Shelter/Rescue Organization #RR036
Every Pet Deserves A Loving Home - Welcome To Tri-Lakes Humane Society
Meet the TLHS Team
Board of Directors
President: Lea Bedore
Vice President: Melinda Little
Treasurer: Kim Charland
Secretary: Dylan VanCott
Members: Jean Baltzy, Sarah Granquist, Dave Seigrist, Gail Ruppert, Amanda Johnson, Elisa McIntosh, Ruth Schmidt, and Kasey Currier.
Staff on Duty
Shelter Director: Victoria Tanner
Shelter Manager & DCO : Lena M. Bombard
Kennel Technicians: Kendal Gallo, Brook Gallo, Caitlin Will and Joyce Barber.
255 George Lapan Memorial Hwy, Saranac Lake, NY, 12986
P.O BOX 1111
The story behind TLHS
It all started with little lives...
In 1942 a group of scrappy and caring teenagers formed what would become the Tri-Lakes Humane Society. Their primary concern continues to feed our purpose: the welfare of unwanted and stray animals in our communities. Their first real “animal shelter” was a simple doghouse surrounded by chicken wire, but most of the teens took rescued animals to their homes to care for them until a new home could be found. They called themselves the Adirondack Animal Welfare Society – and they used a bicycle with a special cart attached to it to transport animals to the local vet’s office for treatment.
Thirty years after the founding of the Adirondack Animal Welfare Society, we moved to Woodruff Street in Saranac Lake, where paperwork was completed, phone calls and messages recorded, and donations received. During that year, the shelter was renamed "Tri-Lakes Humane Society" and a motto was created..."We speak for those who cannot." In 1975, with the help of Henry Uihlein and many generous donations, the shelter was able to purchase a building at 11 Mills Avenue in Saranac Lake and renovate the floors to become our first, real shelter building for animals. In 1994, the Tri-Lakes Humane Society received 501(c)3 Non-Profit Incorporated Organization status.
In 1998 a generous donor presented us with a momentous gift: a new property and building on George LaPan Highway. With the help of financial support made by other wonderful donors, we were able to begin renovations of the old restaurant building, transforming it into a specially designed animal shelter. In December 2000, we began moving dogs and cats from one shelter building to the the other with the help of many volunteers. The last group of cats was settled in during the first week of January 2001. In this new facility we have more space inside and out, with enough property have two outdoor fenced dog yards and a dog walking trail in the woods. An enclosed outdoor cat porch was added to our building in 2009 to provide our shelter cats with access to fresh air, warm sunshine, and a place to play and climb around.
The Tri-Lakes Humane Society Staff are able to care for the 300-400 animals that come through the doors of our facility each year thanks to having this great building and property.